Friday, April 19, 2013

the next tattoo

It's coming up. 
I know that I just had the last one done, but these 2 have been on the books for awhile and were meant to go together. There are 3 in the mental series, actually, so another may be done at the same time. 
The easy one, that may or may not happen when the bigger one does, is simply the McCallum Family Motto.
"In Ardua Tendit", translating into English as "He has attempted difficult things". That will be on my inner left arm, just below the center division between elbow and wrist. A reminder to me of all that has been attempted, accomplished, or merely survived, and a reminder also to never fear the attempt...that is where the growth and learning happen, where living is.

The more complicated one is the Family Crest. I had thought of the Pennant, but that will be too large for the space. It's going on my right calf, outside, above the yin/yang wolf symbol. I'd like for it to look as old and stone as possible, so I'm going back to the artist who did my phoenix (which he tells me is a crane, and we agreed that he can be certain of it's crane-ness but in my world it's a phoenix). He did such a good job with the shading and colors, was fast and fascinating. Adam Williams, if you're looking for a tattooist, he's working at Painless Steel in Everett right now. Shameless plug, he's good. 

It has to have 4 spots of color, birthstones. My mother, my daughters, myself. My mother will always be my mother. I will always be my daughter's mother. And always am I myself. 4 unchangeable facts and truths in the relationships in my life. The woman who gave me life in this place. The girls who brought me to life in this place. And the me, who is responsible for what I do with my life in this place. The family McCallum. Not my maiden name, I know. But it's the one that I claim as my identifier. It's the heritage that connects with the song of my spirit, the music, images, feelings that pull on the very core of myself. And so.

I'm going in tomorrow morning to confer and drop off pictures. It's time. 








Loreena McKennit
The Mummer's Dance


No comments: