Wednesday, May 1, 2013

a night, like any other

it is. A night, like any other night in the life.
Long day working, taking care of business, chores, etc.

Then evening begins...

I walk, listen to the sounds, or my music. I look and frame pictures with my eye. I take many pictures with my phone. 

I smell the scent of the earth in it's season. 

I fight back a small rise of panic at the thought that i will miss a moment of the wonder of this spring, of summer to come. I'm not looking forward to autumn, last year's was so horrible. I'm afraid, actually, of it coming again. 

I talk to the frogs, the ducks, the owls, the bats. I step around the worms, the beetles, the salamanders that come out and move across the road and sidewalks at night.

I pull up my worries from the center of my being and release them to the nether regions. I hone in on the truths that I may be hiding from myself and acknowledge their existence. 

I breathe.
I move. 
Reach.
Stretch.
Feel the burn of pushing hard, harder, working my legs, abs, other bits.

I come home, tend the pets again, putter in house again quickly. 

Upstairs, laundry going, hot water filling a tub, candles lit, lights out, music on. 

a few texts to read, to respond.

Soaking, relaxing, feeling my eyes sink, my body unwind.

Out, laundry switched, whatever else quickly handled. 

Then bed.

It occurred to me tonight that I have somehow stopped sleeping IN my bed. Instead, I sleep ON it. 

I wonder why.

I have no answer.

So, here I am, lying on it. Thinking, writing, feeling...drifting into sleep, wrapped in a blanket. 

ON my bed.

No comments: