Wednesday, January 1, 2014

precious

Not the first time on this blog.
This song has special meaning to me. Well, most Depeche Mode songs are very personal for me, and most people who say that they are fluff have quite simply never listened. 
Listen. Very few of their songs are empty calories.You may not like the sound or style, and that's valid as it certainly isn't for everyone, but give it a solid look before tossing it out.

Okay. Enough of my rant. I honestly don't care if anyone likes them or not, I do and I ignore anyone, regardless of who it is, who disses them to me. I just don't give an eff.

Anyway. Precious.

Released in 2005, it was one that connected instantly to me.

Someone who once mattered, who shouldn't have, said that it was as if were written from them to me.

In years since, it has taken on an entirely different meaning for me.
When the marriage was falling apart, when I couldn't hide the fractures any longer... when older daughter's very brief marriage literally crumbled as I watched her struggle between wanting the security of that bond and her terror at the thought of it crashing down around her should she ever allow herself to relax inside of that security and believe it...
when younger daughter told me with absolute assurance that there was no way that her daddy would ever leave, she knew that, he was her daddy and daddy's just didn't leave...
I knew. 
In a flash of truth, I knew that this song was meant for this situation. 

Precious became my song to them. 
My apology.
My regret.
My wish.

I looked up the song, to see if there was any background on it. I didn't expect to find anything, as Martin Gore almost never reveals the meanings behind his songs, he prefers for listeners to find their own meanings for their own lives...
but for Precious, he made an exception.

It was written for his children, during his divorce from their mother.
It was his apology.
His regret.
and his wish.

Precious.
It will always have very deep meaning for me.

Depeche Mode
Precious
(lyrics below)



Precious and fragile things
Need special handling
My God what have we done to you
We always tried to share
The tenderest of care
Now look what we have put you through

Things get damaged
Things get broken
I thought we'd manage
But words left unspoken
Left us so brittle
There was so little left to give

Angels with silver wings
Shouldn't know suffering
I wish I could take the pain for you
If God has a master plan
That only He understands
I hope it's your eyes He's seeing through

Things get damaged
Things get broken
I thought we'd manage
But words left unspoken
Left us so brittle
There was so little left to give

I pray you learn to trust
Have faith in both of us
And keep room in your hearts for two

Things get damaged
Things get broken
I thought we'd manage
But words left unspoken
Left us so brittle
There was so little left to give



No comments: