Monday, October 1, 2012

planning the next tattoos

When I began to consider the possibility of getting a tattoo at all, I knew that I would have to let it come to me. In trying to think of what it might be, I found myself far too fickle in all of the ideas. And so, I waited. For years.

When I began to heal and find myself again, it hit me one day that my ultimate and final tattoo will be a phoenix. Rising from the ashes to a new and stronger life, wisdom grown on the back of the previous existence. It made perfect sense and rang true. I knew that I would never regret it. 

The issue became the design. What I wanted was going to be so detailed that it would end up covering most of a section of my back and if it was to be that large then i wanted it to wrap around my rib cage. But to be honest, I didn't want anything that large. The smaller versions were too simplistic and I have been searching for a very long time to find the right image.

I found it. Finally. 

Another planned tattoo has always been a celtic knot. The knot's representation varies but to me it symbolizes the eternal nature of life and the spirit. I have been searching for a knot that would strike that note of truth in me and so it's been on hold as well. 

I found it also. 

I found them together. The knot isn't a true knot, but it works for me. It's an amazing design to me and it's what I will have done. I have a yin/yang with wolf tracks on my right outside calf, and this will go on my left. Incorporated in will be the initials of my daughters, always a part of my spirit and myself, forever without end. Posting the picture that I found...tried to crop it to cut out the belly, no luck. So just look beyond that. :)


It's perfect, for me. Exactly right. I can't wait now. 

The tattoo that I got first is pictured below. The yin/yang symbolizes balance and harmony in all things in life, there is light and dark in everything, and in everyone. Without one the other cannot exist, it is how life and existence is. And it's all good. The wolf tracks inside are based on the following legend:

An old Cherokee is teaching his grandson about life. “A fight is going on inside me,” he said to the boy.
“It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil - he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.” He continued, “The other is good - he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. The same fight is going on inside you - and inside every other person, too.”
The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, “Which wolf will win?”

The old Cherokee simply replied, “The one you feed.”

The angle is off, the tattoo is actually square on my leg, but I couldn't get my hand to bend quite right. It doesn't show much in the picture, but there is a scar to the back of the tattoo on my leg. It is, ironically, from a dog bite. 


The last tattoo will be the the McCallum clan motto: In Ardua Tendit..."He has attempted difficult things".
That will be on the inside of my left wrist. 


Glad to have found that piece that was missing. :)

No comments: