Saturday, September 14, 2013

Somebody mentioned Twin Peaks, and I'm here with a damn fine cup of coffee ~

When I was a little one, I was fascinated with the original Dark Shadows. I knew I wasn't supposed to be, I wasn't allowed to watch it at all. They talked about it at the early elementary/christian daycare, warning all of us itty tikes that it was evil and dark and bad, and telling all of us that if it was on the television and we were around then we should ask the adult to turn it off or just run away from the room.
I sat there, raised my hand when the question came asking of who had ever watched it. Then the sad smiles, the clucks of sympathy, and I remember wondering why? What was wrong with it? It was cool, mysterious, intriguing, a little scary, thrilling...even at that age, I thought that. Which, by the way, blows adult thinking that young ones aren't able to intellectually articulate at some level. Anyway, I then remember that I felt ashamed because I liked it and still wanted to watch it, even though I didn't really get the story. I didn't think it was BAD. 
Anyway. Twin Peaks was one of the first shows that came along in my adult years that had the same flavor, the same twists, symbolism and just blank silliness at times as that did.
I liked it. I still do. It was a rage with many friends, but with church friends, the same situation as in all those years ago came up. 
Whatever. I suppose it is "dark", but like everything in life, there exists both. They are necessary and essential to the existence of each other, i believe. The trick is to keep it all in balance.
The music is moody, flows like the water and wind that are so symbolic in the show. It isn't deep or profound. 
Julee Cruise did alot of the songs that were made for the show. Chris Isaac did the most popular hit, and it was only loosely tied to Twin Peaks.
But this of Cruise's is one of my favorites. 


Julee Cruise
Into The Night


No comments: