Thursday, November 7, 2013

Molly

My sweet kitty.
She came into my life as a tiny dust ball, not even properly weaned, 20 yrs ago. Sarina crawled out of an old boat with this itty face filled with huge eyes latched onto her...and that was it.
I'd hand raised many critters, so it was easy to switch the kid over, independent tiny creature.
In the year before Sarina left, Molly became mine. I spent many long nights awake and alone until the hour that she wandered out to the dark room and crawled into my lap. I'll never forget that moment...she wasn't a cuddler, rarely purred...until then. And we've been tightly bound ever since.
She's snuggled here in the crook of my arm right now. She's grown thinner, and we both know the time is coming. I should be getting ready for work, but I hesitate to release this moment...precious in it's simplicity.
There was that first, when she came and gave herself to me, and took me for hers. It will be my turn soon, to let her leave me, to not hold her selfishly, to let her complete her beautiful stewardship of me as I fulfill mine of her.
My heart has begun to break.

No comments: