Monday, October 21, 2013

Norah Jones - The Long Way Home

I'm very fortunate to be able to hear many bands, many singers. Kids come into the bakery with guitars and I trade a treat for a song. I never pass up the chance to listen to anyone, anywhere, if at all possible. Sometimes you have the wonderful opportunity to hear something special. It may not be special to anybody else, but music, art, writing...those are all personal experiences. What anything means to you at any particular time is yours alone, and nobody has the right to negate either your opinion or experience.
Soapbox ramble. 
Anyway, today I had one of those happen. A father/daughter duo, informally singing at the piano (a gorgeous instrument), this song. I wish I'd recorded it. I didn't think he would mind, but I wasn't sure if his lovely daughter would be okay with it...and I was a bit lost in the song. Their voices were so wonderful together, they became one voice. Even the piano seemed to sing and I couldn't help but follow with, low in my throat and very quietly, hand on the instrument, feeling the depth of the vibrations and it's soul. I'm fairly certain I was the only one having this experience and I'm good with that. It was one of those times. A privilege. 
I won't forget it. 

Norah Jones
The Long Way Home



And the piano...
really beautiful. No edits.




And then ~


Guitar. Books. Warm, wooden room. 
Not a total summation. But it's in there.


So. Good day.

No comments: