Thursday, October 10, 2013

what are the things that frighten you the most?

Not the big stuff, like earthquakes, floods, fires...in reality, I find that most people are NOT frightened by the thought of those happening. They are completely out of our hands, and as much as we try to project ahead and into the situation, the truth is that we won't know how to handle things or what will need to be handled until we are actually there. Okay, now I can hear someone reading this and saying, "Oh, trust me. The thought of those concerns me greatly". True, some live in mortal terror of these things. That's why I wrote that MOST people are not frightened, to the point of obsession, about them. I stand by that thought.

So what are the things that frighten you the most?

What are you afraid of? Things that might happen, things you might do, things that won't happen...?

Some things are basically the same from person to person. Most are very specific to someone.

What are mine? In my life I've had a few. I worried that I would be homeless, until I was. I worried that I would lose a child and not know where they were...until it happened. I worried that I would lose my family, and then I did. Those were the things that mattered the most, that truly worried me the most. I've been poor, I've been hungry, I've been hurt, I've been terrified of losing my mind...and a few of those above events seriously had me wondering if I had...
What I learned through these things is that my mom was right. 
She always used to say, "whatever happens, it's ok".
Not happy, necessarily. These things are not fun things. They aren't welcomed things. They aren't peaceful things. 
But they are ok. I learned that keeping myself right in the moment of life that I'm in gives me what I need to know how to move my foot that one tiny step. And the next moment gives me that next step, that next knowing.
This is all simplified, but knowing how to be in a moment and move into the next is very, very OK. And we get to the places that are easier, more peaceful, where happiness is.

So. What frightens me now? 

Losing my girl to choices out of my control. I have all the self talk that I need to work through those feelings, but there they are. I'm a mom. My girls are a physical part of me and because of some ways that I am, they are more than that. I don't think I'm unusual, most parents are that way, tied to their children in a "cosmic" sense. Stuff happens, we know. Anyway, that's another post, another time. 

Nobody likes the thought of being homeless or broke or sick and not able to take care of ourselves, but those things aren't what I'm including here.

Not a fear, but I worry about being misunderstood.

A fear...admitting a fear.

From "We Bought A Zoo"...

“You know, sometimes all you need is 20 seconds of insane courage, just literally 20 seconds of embarrassing bravery, and I promise you something great will come of it.” 


And  my favorite movie scene...or at least one of them and it's been on here a few times already:


Go make the day happen. Or let it happen and make the moment okay. 
You're not alone.





No comments: